What started out as a small, one-time project to help supplement the fundraising efforts of the annual Kids Center Fashion Show in 2005, Dr. Ron Lehocky’s Heart Pin Project has grown dramatically over the ensuing years to generate hundreds of thousands of dollars for Kids Center.
Dr. Lehocky, a community pediatrician since 1974 and a member of Kids Center’s Board of Directors, designs and constructs each heart pin from polymer clay, which can be blended, tinted, and manipulated into various designs. These are then used to decorate the surface of the hearts. After curing the clay in an oven, most pins are sanded and buffed by hand to give them a subtle gloss. Each pin is unique, like every patient served at Kids Center.
100% of the money generated from the sale of each pin goes into a designated fund to provide continuing education for our wonderful and dedicated team of therapists (the Heart of the center).
This fund ensures that Kids Center can continue providing the most up-to-date therapies for our patients.
Dr. Lehocky’s Heart Pins can be purchased at the following locations. Thanks to all these retailers who have so generously embraced the Heart Pin Project and who take no profit from their efforts.
- The Kids Center for Pediatric Therapies, 982 Eastern Parkway and 9810 Bluegrass Parkway
- Dee’s Crafts, 5045 Shelbyville Road
- Baptist East Hospital Gift Shop, 4000 Kresge Way
- Thelma’s at the Galt House, 140 N 4th Street
- Two Chicks and Company, 12121 Shelbyville Rd.
- Heitzman’s Bakery, 9426 Shelbyville Rd at Hurstbourne
- Museum of Arts and Crafts, 715 West Main Street
- Gallery JanJoBee in Melwood Art Center, 1860 Mellwood Avenue
- Burning Bush Grille and Mediterranean Café, 13206 W. US 42, Prospect
- Prospect Sisters Tea Parlor and Gifts, 4765 Fox Run Road, Buckner